Winery in Alessandria province of Piedmont Region
The Canato estate is situated on the hills of the Vignale Monferrato, a city of the Alessandria province, in the piedmont region. It lies near the ancient “Fons Salera” (Salera Spring), at the time famous for its precious thermal waters.
History of Canato
The historical estate belonged to nuns of St. Bartholomew cloister during 1700. In the year 1740, the Bishop of Casale Monferrato bought part of the estate. Later during 1950s, the Canato family acquired the estate on lease. Due to the good quality of the soil, the family thought about growing the grapes and soon they realized the potential of the land and hence established Marco Canato.
Ideal land for Grape Growing
The winery estate has over 10 hectares of vineyards. It is managed with the utmost care by the producers to produce the best quality grapes. The harvested grapes are processed and aged in their cellars and in the “Infernot”, the typical Piedmontese cellar dug into the tuff, the local stone. The primary grape varieties that are grown by the producers are- Barbera, Grignolino, and Chardonnay.
The wines produced by Marco Canato winery have the right content in alcohol and good acidity that helps their wine to enhance and preserve their natural aromas.
The winery has been listed as one of the most important wine producers in the Alessandria province in the Quattrocalici.