Taste Wines of the First AOC Appein France
Surrounded by 32 hectares of vineyards, Chateau Fortia is an ancient winery located in the heart of Châteauneuf-du-Pape, a renowned appellation in the Southern Rhône Valley, France. It was here that Baron Pierre Le Roy de Boiseaumarie was instrumental in establishing the first Appellation Contrôlée system. Today, Sandra Rochel and Anna Olejnik handle the functions of the estate, preserving Fortia’s ancient traditions and spirit.
Chateau Fortia – From the 17th Century to Present
The story of Chateau Fortia was started in the 1800s, a small farm situated on the current Fortia building. In the 18th century, Hercule Paul de Fortia acquired the estate, and his son, Paul Antonie de Fortia, expanded the winery operations by purchasing more vineyards. Throughout the 19th century, Seguin and Gondi families worked in the chateau and delivered great wines. In 1890, the former director of the Official Journal of the Kingdom of Egypt, Hippolyte Bernard Le Saint, bought the chateau and renovated its structure. Later, Edmée and Pierre Le Roy, Bernard’s daughter and son-in-law, took charge of the winery and made it famous internationally. From 1994 to 2003, Pierre’s grandson, Bruno Le Roy, handled the winery, followed by Bruno’s daughter and her husband, Pierre Pastre. In 2016, Pastre took retirement and hired Sandra and Anna to take care of the winery.
Wines with the Finest Expression of Terroirs
Chateau Fortia stretches over 36 hectares, out of which 32 hectares are planted with grapes. The remaining land is covered with woods, gardens, and vegetable gardens bordered with flowers. Cultivated on south-facing slopes, the vineyards enjoy optimum sunlight and pedo-climate. Most of the plots are dedicated to Syrah, along with Grenache, Mourvèdre, Roussanne, and Clairette.