Santa Sofia was built by famous Palladio
The Santa Sofia winery headquarters and cellars are in Veneto’s Piedmont, one of the most beautiful and attractive zones in the Classic Valpolicella area. Villa Santa Sofia winery was built by the famous architect Andrea Palladio in 1560 and since 1996 has been included among UNESCO’s World Heritage Sites.
Already in the mid-800, the company was known for the excellent quality of its Valpolicella wines
The wines are produced from grapes carefully selected, coming from the most suited and best-exposed hillsides in the surrounding area. But the wine tradition of the winery has more ancient origins: part of the old cellars was already used for the ageing of wine in the 14th and 15th centuries.
Exporting into the whole world
All this has allowed Santa Sofia to position its wines in more than 50 countries around the world. The company has recently bought a new vineyard in Briago, Valpantena, reaching the goal of a 53 hectares propriety. Corvina, Corvinone, and Rondinella are the grapes grown here to make the red, white, rose, and sparkling wines. Today, the Begnoni family lives their role as witnesses and guardians of this excellent wine tradition enthusiastically.
A winery with most significant realities
Over the years, Santa Sofia has built up and maintained a reputation which has seen it increase successfully from a “small estate with high quality” to a company which has become one of the most significant realities in the Veronese winemaking world, pursuing a “strategy of excellence” – as Giancarlo likes to call it—focused on the tradition and on the importance of making the best regional wines.