100% Pinot Noir
The Gevrey-Chambertin appellation is produced red wines in the town of the same name, in Côte de Nuits, sub-region of Burgundy, Eastern France. The vineyard of 4.1 square kilometers is implanted in the bottom and on both sides of the valley of Lavaux. The Gevrey-Chambertin is producing only red wine with Pinot noir as the main grape variety. On average, this appellation produces 1,728,200 liters of red wine annually.
Natural Magic Of Terroir
The wines produced on the hillside of Grands Crus (Carougeot, Jouise, Champs-Chenys, Vignes-Belles) benefit from the best terroirs and give ample and long reds of the most balanced. The Premiers Crus are numerous and marked by more or less delicacy and consistency depending on their situation on the Côte Saint-Jacques, the Côte des Grands Crus or the cone of excrement, and according to the climate.
Three distinct entities can be distinguished in this appellation:
- The Côte Saint-Jacques in the north/north-west section, with 350 meters elevation above sea level on marly to clay soils;
- The Côte des Grands Crus further south, with Bathonian substratum soils, Bajocian marls, then Lower Bajocian limestone, away from the commune of Gevrey-Chambertin;
- And finally, in the center of the vineyard, the alluvial cone is composed of material and silt.
Therefore, the wines produced in this area are very different depending on the climate. There are 9 Grands Crus, but also 26 classified Premier Cru and Village appellations. These are red wines, all made from the only Pinot Noir grape.
Excellent Wines from Grand Crus
In the combe’s extension (Mevelle, Clos Tamisot, Brunelle), the wines are well structured, complex, and very aromatic. The further east (Justice, Croix-des-Champs, Hollow Fog, Chalk), the more flexible they are, and the better to drink young.
Returning north finally, they are more powerful and fleshy (Young Kings, Wine Clip, Evocels, Champerrier, Field, Au Velle, Motrot). They have good aging potential, ten years minimum because they are quite sappy and very bouquet.
Explore Wineries in Côtes de Nuits
A part of the important features of Gevrey-Chambertin appellation for red wines are as follows:
- Soil: Limestone.
- Taste: Balanced.
- Wine color: Red.
- Aromas: Flavors evoking blackcurrant, cherry, musk, and licorice.
- Aging potential: 2 – 10 years.
- Serving temperature: 14 to 16° C
Discover Wine Tastings and Tours in Côtes de Nuits