The Haut-Médoc sub-appellation is situated all around on the Gironde. It covers all the villages that are not “communal” as is the case of Cissac-Médoc. It begins at Saint-Seurin Cadourne north of Saint-Estèphe and ends at the gates of Bordeaux, Blanquefort. In fact, the Haut-Medoc sub-appellation is the biggest area under vine in the Medoc.

Almost 410 different chateau produce wine or operate vineyards in this appellation, today. About 60% of them produce and sell their own wine. The remaining 40% growers sell their wine or grapes to local cooperatives or geniuses. Cabernet Sauvignon is the main grape in the region.

Just red wines are allowed by AOC law to be produced in the Haut Medoc.

This sub-appellation wines offer consistency and reliability.

Produced primarily from Cabernet Sauvignon grapes, small amounts of Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot and Merlot can also be found in the blend.  The wines tend to be quite rich and structured with classic Bordeaux flavors of blackcurrant, oak, cigar and plums.

Usually good to drink quite young, these wines can age well for about ten years.  They work well when paired with grilled meats and stews.

 

A part of important features of Haut-Médoc appellation are as follows:

 

  • Soil: Alluvial terraces of gravel deposits, light, good for Merlot and Cabernet, and deep and clay-like.
  • Wine color of Haut- Médoc is red.
  • Aromas: Complex, elegant, oaked, notes of blackberry, currant, licorice, and sometimes spices and mint.
  • Taste: Nervy, generous, lively, powerful.
  • Aging potential: 5 – 30 years.
  • Serving temperature: 15 to 17° C

Region Highlights

Surface: 46.83 Square Kilometers
Classification: AOP Haut-Médoc
Grapes: Merlot, Malbec, Petit Verdot , Cabernet Sauvignon
Types of Wines: Red Wine

The Bordeaux region

Bordeaux wine region

No doubt that Bordeaux is one of the most renown wine regions in the world. With its standard red wine blends of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Cabernet …

Read more →