Perfect Red Wines Made Naturally

Hautes-Côtes de Nuits appellation is a sub-area of the Burgundy wine region located to the west of the Côte de Nuits appellation, Eastern France. The Bourgogne-Hautes-Côtes-de-Nuits appellation is spread over 20 municipalities of the Côte-d’Or, from Reulle-Vergy to Magny-lès-Villers. 90% of the wines produced on this area of ​​6.75 square kilometers are red, the remaining 10% are whites and some rosés (grouped in AOC Bourgogne rosé Hautes-Côtes-de-Nuits or Bourgogne clairet Hautes-Côtes-de-Nuits).

Growing Best Grapes Effortlessly

These long vineyards consist of limestone soils and marls, at an altitude of between 350 and 500 meters above the sea level.

The climate plays a vital role because at this height, the temperatures are on average 5 ° C lower than those measured on the Coast and the nights are much more relaxed than the days. Also, the exposure to the sun and the winds are variable, which also influences the ripening of the grapes. The vintage and the different climates take their meaning here, giving very different wines, which do not have a particular characteristic.

Grapes Born for Wine Making

Annually their production reaches 2,760,000 liters. The reds come from the Pinot Noir grape, from which they draw aromas of red berries, and usually have firm finishes. The whites offer aromas of white flowers and citrus, typically is produced from the Chardonnay grape variety. All colors are fresh and lively, but they also have an excellent aging habit.

Due to the AOC rules and regulations, the allowed base yield is 5000 liters per 0.01 square kilometers of red wines and 5500 liters per 0.01 square kilometers for white wines. The grapes must reach a maturity of at least 10.5 % potential alcohol for white wine, 10% for red wine and wine. This appellation was created in 1961.

 


Explore Wineries in Côtes de Nuits


 

A part of the important features of Bourgogne-Hautes-Côtes-de-Nuits for white wines are as follows:

  • Soil: limestone Limestone and marls.
  • Taste: well Balanced.
  • Wine color: white.
  • Aromas: Flowers and citrus.
  • Aging potential: 2 – 5 years.
  • Serving temperature: 11 to 13° C

 

A part of important features of Bourgogne-Hautes-Côtes-de-Nuits appellation for red wines are as follows:

  • Soil: limestone Limestone and marls.
  • Taste: Balanced.
  • Wine color: Red.
  • Aromas: Red berries.
  • Aging potential: 2 – 5 years.
  • Serving temperature: 14 to 16° C

Discover Wine Tastings and Tours in Côtes de Nuits


 

Region Highlights

Surface: About 6.75 Square Kilometers
Classification: AOP Bourgogne-Hautes-Côtes-de-Nuits
Grapes: Pinot Noi for red wines and Chardonnay for white wines
Types of Wines: White Wine, Red Wine

The Burgundy region

Burgundy wine region

Travel Guide to Burgundy Wine Region In Burgundy, Wine, Before Everything, is an ‘Art de Vivre’! We made the list of wine tastings & tours in Burgundy …

Read more →